Image Map

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Guest Post - Must Have Momma Oils

Hello fellow Hanging with the Huie’s readers! I’m so excited that Kendra gave me the opportunity to do a guest post while she’s temporarily away snuggling that sweet new baby of hers. My name is Ashley. I “met” Kendra on Instagram while we were both pregnant & due in September of 2013. We instantly bonded over pregnancy woes, labor pains, and all the first time Mom problems that are to be expected.

Let me tell you a little about myself – I’m Ashley (you can call me Ash). I’m married to Sundance (aka Diz), Momma to the cutest little boy, Ford, and dog-momma to the best golden retriever, Olivia. I work full time at a busy ophthalmology clinic and I’m a dōTERRA Wellness Advocate. I used to have a pretty active blog (AshandDiz), but then I became a Mom, so now I have a pretty active Instagram!

1

I got involved in dōTERRA last year after Ford got his millionth (or at least it seemed that way) illness. Previously, I was the biggest nay-sayer of essential oils. I work in the medical field (for the last 9 years). I have a lot of faith in western medicine and have the utmost respect for medical professionals. BUT – I was ready to try something else, ANYTHING else, to try to keep Ford as healthy as he could be. My friend got me some samples to try for myself and for Ford and days later I was placing an order!

I’d like to share how dōTERRA essential oils have helped my family stay healthier and happier! I’m sure many of you have heard of essential oils and some of you may already be oil users. For those of you who are new to oils, let me explain (very, very) briefly: Essential oils are the natural aromatic compounds found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. Essential oils have many uses including emotional and physical wellness applications. dōTERRA offers a ton of single oils and many proprietary blends, among many other supplements and products. There are 3 ways to use essential oils: diffused aromatically, applied topically, or taken internally as dietary supplements. That is a very basic definition and I don’t want to completely overwhelm y’all, so, if you have questions about the science-y stuff – let me know in the comments or shoot me a message.

2 (1)

Here are my MUST have momma dōTERRA essential oils & how I use them:

Lavender – I used to hate Lavender scented things until I tried dōTERRA’s lavender. Smells DIVINE. I use a few drops of Lavender in Ford’s bath every night. Helps to calm him down and get him ready for bed time. I also have it in a roller bottle (diluted with FCO – fractionated coconut oil) that I use all over like a moisturizer, especially if his skin is dry or chapped, or I’ll roll it on his hands and encourage him to smell them – it’s turned into our nightly bedtime game. Lavender is a great skin soother! I made my own body balm for Ford using olive oil, coconut oil (the regular kind), beeswax and Lavender and Frankincense – it makes his skin so incredibly soft and he smells so yummy! I will also put 3-4 drops in his diffuser at night to relax him if I’m not diffusing something else already.

On Guard – LOVE LOVE LOVE this oil. I have a lot of favorites, but this is definitely number 1! I use this on Ford morning and night. I have a roller bottle, diluted with FCO and put a swipe on each foot then rub them together. Ford is so used to this routine – he lifts his feet up whenever I lay him on the changing pad – just waiting for his oils! On Guard is great for immunity boosting. Toddlers (babies and children, in general) are walking petri dishes, so I try my best to keep Ford as healthy as possible by using On Guard on him. On Guard also smells divine in the diffuser – it is a blend of Wild Orange, Clove Bud, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary essential oils. When diffused, On Guard can help protect against environmental threats. There are many other products in the On Guard line. I take a beadlet or 2 every day to boost my immune system too. The toothpaste is also amazing! Even Ford uses it!

Clove – this was one of the first oils that I tried that convinced me that dōTERRA essential oils WORKED. Ford had been cutting teeth – I had been giving him over the counter pain medications and he was still miserable. One drop of this oil (very, very, very diluted) on his gums and he was a happy camper. Clove is considered a HOT oil – meaning it can give a warming (hot) sensation when used it, so it must always be diluted. I always suggest that Mom or Dad try it first so you can get a sense of what it feels like. It’s like a tingly, almost numbing sensation. I’ve had painful canker sores in my mouth that Clove helped immediately. Another thing that convinced me was the price – I had spent close to $20 on OTC products that only lasted me a week or two and a bottle of Clove is only $18.67 – and I’ll probably have enough to last me a lifetime!

Balance – ohhh. Balance. It speaks to me. This one is for the Mommas! What new Mom doesn’t feel anxious or stressed on occasion? This oil is for you! When I first smelled it, I told my friend, “I don’t know what it is, but I love the way that smells. It’s smells so soothing.” Balance is a blend of Spruce Needle, Ho Wood, Frankincense, Blue Tansy Flower, and Blue Chamomile Flower essential oils in a base of Fractionated Coconut Oil. I use this every day! I put it on my wrists when I get ready in the morning and I have some at my desk at work so I can reapply when I start to get stressed. I joke that it tames my inner beast.

Fractionated Coconut Oil (aka FCO) – an absolute necessity for any family. dōTERRA essential oils are absolutely safe for everyone in the family as long as you use them correctly. Dilution is key when using essential oils with your babies, toddlers and children.  FCO is super light and the most commonly used carrier oil for topical applications. Won’t clog your pores, it’s odorless, colorless, and non-staining. There are differing opinions on dilution ratios for kids, but most common is 1 drop of essential oil to 1 TBS of carrier oil. I will admit I don’t follow that exactly. I use 10ml roller bottles and I probably put 10-15 drops of the essential oil and fill the rest with FCO. Except for Clove, I have a sample vial that I refill when needed with 1 drop of clove then top it off with FCO.

I hope you enjoyed this post about dōTERRA essential oils. If you have any questions you can leave a comment on this post, shoot me an email at amurie14@gmail.com, or find me on Instagram @ash_and_diz and send me a DM. You can visit my dōTERRA site (http://www.mydoterra.com/ashleyurie/) or check out the virtual product guide HERE (http://www.doterratools.com/documents/usproductguide.pdf).

3

Thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments and read them all so knock yourself out! If you have a specific question, feel free to
e-mail me by using my e-mail link in the side bar. I would love to hear from you :o)