Image Map

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tomato Basil Soup With Greek Yogurt

I shared a photo of my homemade tomato basil soup in my instagram feed (Kendra_Pryor) a few weeks ago and several folks asked for the recipe. I’m seeing a trend with recipe request on instagram so it looks like I need to do a better job of paying attention to what I’m doing while I cook so I can share with y’all!

Let me forewarn you I’m a wing it kind of gal when I cook. I’m awful about writing down recipes while I cook but this one is pretty straight forward so you should be all good!

 

Tomato Basil Soup With Greek Yogurt

IMG_7744-edit

 

Gather Your Ingredients:
2 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup of freshly grated cheddar cheese (skip the preshreadded cheese folks go for the block and shred yourself)
1 cup of plain Fat Free Greek yogurt
Shredded parmesan cheese for garnish
2 28oz cans of diced tomatoes 
1 cup fresh basil, chopped (check your local Asian super market for basil it’s cheaper than buying in your supermarket)
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp of olive oil
2 tsp of oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp of Lawery’s garlic salt (you can use any brand you have on hand but Lawery’s is yummy)

 

Directions:
Over medium heat in a large soup pot add olive oil, chopped onion and allow to cook until soft and translucent. Add chopped garlic and stir into your onion/oil mixture, sauté for 2 minuets. Add tomatoes including juice, add chicken broth. Stir in basil, Lawery’s garlic salt, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and allow to simmer for 12-15 minuets. Tate as you go! You may find that you prefer more pepper or salt. Add Greek yogurt and shredded cheese and stir until well blended. You can stop here if you like chunky tomato soup or continue if you like a smooth soup.  Use a food processor or immersion blender to puree soup. The longer you puree the smoother it will be. Garnish with chopped basil and shredded parmesan

This is yummy and super easy! After you make this you will no longer buy the canned stuff. It’s just too simple to do it on your own! I love to eat mine with a spring salad or a veggie wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments and read them all so knock yourself out! If you have a specific question, feel free to
e-mail me by using my e-mail link in the side bar. I would love to hear from you :o)