Image Map

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Finding Places to Store Items

Our lower level lacks storage space. Not really sure what the builder was thinking when he/she designed a family home without a coat closet on the lower level. Not having storage put me in a pickle through the years as we’ve grown into our home. What does a gal do when she’s running low on space to store things? She makes the best of what she has and thinks outside the box…..right? Well in this case we’re going to think INSIDE the box.




OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         This sits next to our fireplace in our living room. I use the basket to store extra blankets and the to trunk store our karaoke equipment. Not only are these two items great storage pieces they add a little color to my living room and tie in decor patterns I use throughout our home. Don't mind the nosey dog in the background. :o)




easter, blog torage, biscotti 095 This chest sits on a shelf in our living room. I use it to store Kent’s Play Station bit and pieces. I want to give this little guy a face lift but I haven't decided what I want to do with it yet.




OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA            A little nook in our living room that received a makeover a few months ago (click HERE to see the makeover). I use the basket next to the chair to store magazines that are waiting to be read or placed in my magazine organizer (click HERE to see how I organize magazine clippings).





OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         We still need to install a cabinet in our 1/2 bathroom on our lower level. It would definitely come in handy but for now I use this basket I bought at Goodwill to store our extra toilet paper. This little basket has been a lifesaver! 






OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA           This basket sits on top of our refrigerator. We store bread, baked goods, chips, and tortillas in it. We’ve had this guy forever! I bought it at World Market years ago. I loved the open weave and the large size. It’s great for storing and the open weave makes it easy to see what’s inside.






OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA            This chest is in our kitchen as well. I use it to store our electric mixer and the mixer attachments. It’s easy for me to get to and it’s tucked away so no one can see it!





OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         I’m an avid coffee and tea drinker. It’s one of my guilty pleasures. I found the cake pedestal at Goodwill last summer and turned it into a little coffee/tea station. I use the coffee canister to store my Keurig coffee pods and the smaller canister for my Keurig tea pods.






OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         I use this apothecary jar to store my non diary/low fat creamer. I love me some creamer but a gals got to watch her calorie intake. Storing it next to our Keurig makes that much easier for me to have a cup of joe. Hummm, maybe that's not a good thing.


I want to hear from you:
What are some ways you store everyday items throughout your home?

10 comments:

  1. There's just never enough storage space, is there? I do a lot of the same things with decorative baskets and chests. Yours all look very pretty! We also raised our king sized bed up to accommodate lots of plastic totes which has worked out pretty well.
    ☺ Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dollar Tree had a bunch of 'mini laundry baskets' in different colors. I bought a bunch to match the bedroom and organized shoes in all the closets. Now they are all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great tips. You've really got me thinking now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the creamer in the apothecary jar!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am just like you! I have baskets and decorative boxes everywhere filled with "things". Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pretty storage solutions! You have some great ideas! I love storing kitchen staples (like sugar) in apothecary jars! So cute! Havea great day! ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Featured your craft room today! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas, I like the pillow basket best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and ps. I just loved this post. It gave me some ideas of ways to add extra storage around my home. I really really loved the idea of the creamer in the apothocary jar. I mean, realllly loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We live in a house with no coat closet in the entranceway. In fact, it's at the back of the house (where there is no door in site!). So coming up with some storage solutions has been key for us. I like to have everything in it's place - or at least a home for everything. I use a lot of baskets mainly bc I love the look of them. I keep one on top of the fridge to hold our plastic baggies, saran wrap, ect. We use that stuff constantly and it was much easier to put it all in a basket that I could grab easily than putting it in a drawer. Also by the front door, I have a set of nesting boxes. In the largest I keep dog leashes, the medium holds my hubbies dog whistles and laynards and the top box is for the small bits of whatever that comes out of my hubbies pockets that tends to collect on the dining room table.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and read them all so knock yourself out! If you have a specific question, feel free to
e-mail me by using my e-mail link in the side bar. I would love to hear from you :o)