Image Map

Monday, July 06, 2009

Getting Ready for Company

We labor to make a house a home, then every time we’re expecting visitors, we rush to turn it back into a house-Robert Brault

This quote pretty much sums up last week. It was full of yard work, painting and cleaning! We live in a two story home with most of our living spaces down stairs (except bedrooms). I'm awful about cleaning upstairs. No one ever goes up there besides us so I stick true to my title as Domestic Princess in Training and ignore it. Needless to say I had a lot to do! My once craft/don’t know where to put this so I just put in here room had to be turned into a makeshift guest room in a matter of days (our other guest room was occupied by a friend that needed a place to stay for a bit) ……something I thought was impossible but I pulled it off….kind of!

Lets title this next bit- Making Do with what you Have!
Wanting to make our guest feel welcome and special I knew that I needed to add a few personal touches to undecorated space. My challenge to myself……spend NO money! This meant I just had to do the best with what we already had. It was not a beautiful room but it’s a complete transformation from what it was before.

This is out guest bathroom. Please don’t mind the ugly wallpaper. I’m not a BIG fan so doing something new with the bathroom is on my LONG, LONG list of things to do. For now, it will just have to do. I set a little basket up with toiletries. Don’t you hate when you go on a trip and forget to pack something. Hopefully I have them covered.

Guest towels all soft, fluffy, and ready to go.

This was my 1st attempt at a chalkboard tray. I think it turned out pretty good! I embellished the ridges with a little gold paint and spray painted with almond color spray paint. They arrived on the 4th so I thought we would welcome them patriotic style.


I placed the tray on the night stand next to the bed


Again using things I already had- T.V. tray turned into a makeshift night stand with a cloth napkin to fancy it up. I had an old picture frame just waiting to be filled so I printed out a little quote and placed it inside. A plant (yes it’s fake….I’m sorry to all the fake plant haters out there) that was a gift from my Mom. I thought it made the space look a little homier (is that even a word).


Here’s the quote I used inside the frame



Fun basket filled with snacks, reading material, ear plugs, ones of those little eye mask that keeps the light from waking you up, and bottled water. Ok you got me I did spend money on the magazines. Shhhh don’t tell Kent :)


Oh I hate to end with a bad picture but oh well. Here is the dreaded bed. The duvet is Kent’s from college (he is older than me so this thing is OLD). I’m not a big fan if this either. I even shopped around and found a bed set for a great price but didn’t by it. I figured they would not care if the bedding was ugly. I did iron the sheets to see if it would help and I think it did. I decided fold the duvet at the end of the bed so it was not such a focal point in the room.


I have much more to post so stay tuned!




1 comment:

  1. You are so stinkin' creative you make me sick! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and read them all so knock yourself out! If you have a specific question, feel free to
e-mail me by using my e-mail link in the side bar. I would love to hear from you :o)