Image Map

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

A Few New Things in Our Coop Basket

For those of you that have been reading DPIT for awhile you may already know about the coop group I started. If you missed it and are interested in knowing what it’s all about you can look HERE or HERE. I LOVE coop! I need to get one of those cool bumper stickers

that people have for their dogs but mine will say “I heart my veggie/fruit coop.” Really, it’s awesome! If we have enough people interested in starting their own coop I may do a how-to post.

 

IMG_0279-edit  I’ve suggested to my members that we try to buy something different each cycle something that we’re not use to eating. Why, you may ask…..well it’s fun to try new things and you never know when something new that you try may turn out to be your favorite things.

 

 

IMG_0305-edit This cycle our basket had beets and pluots as our “try something new items.” I’ve eaten beets but have never prepared them and well, pulots I was not really sure what they were so I turned to Google for a little help. Turns out that pulots are a hybrid fruit. Mrs. Plum and Mr. Nectarine got together had a baby and name it Pulot. Let me tell ya…..they are delish! See trying new things can be fun!

 

Now on to the beets. Like I said above I’ve never prepared them before so I had no idea what to do with them. I did a little search on one of my favorite recipe sites (all recipes.com) and found a few ideas. I’m thinking about Roasted Beets with Feta and/or Beet Carrot Salad we also have carrots in our coop basket this cycle so the beet carrot salad would be a good way to use multiple items. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

Do you know a good beet recipe? If so do share!

1 comment:

  1. I am a little embarrassed to say that I have never tried beets, and I am not really sure why!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and read them all so knock yourself out! If you have a specific question, feel free to
e-mail me by using my e-mail link in the side bar. I would love to hear from you :o)