Image Map

Monday, September 20, 2010

Once a Pillowcase Now a Work of Art

craftroom,_craft_party,_blog_1_24_201_thumb[13][1] After I finished decorating my craft room I wanted to try and incorporate a little yellow throughout the rest of my home. It is my favorite color after all.

 

I found a beautiful golden yellow striped pillowcase at Goodwill. I knew I could find something to do with it so I put it in my cart and took it home!

 

Here’s a little thrift store tip: While shopping at thrift stores keep an open mind when looking though bedding and clothing. Sometimes you can find really neat fabrics for a great price. They may come in the form of a skirt or a pillow case (in this situation) but you can always cut it up and turn it into something new!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I had a couple matching frames from a previous Goodwill trip. I’m sure you thrift store fanatics know how rare it is to find matching frames. I snatched them up when I found them and put them away for a rainy day. They were bright gold so I toned them down with some glossy black spray paint.

 

Can you see where this project is going?

 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

That’s right! I got out my scissors and went to town.

 

I picked up a package of vinyl flower decals from Ikea.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Called in my craft room mascot for a little help!

*If you’re new to Domestic Princess in Training this is Ninja our little lionhead bunny. He is just precious and loves to be involved in whatever’s going on.*

 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA            I cut the decals so I was able to arrange them however I wanted on my frame .

Tip: If you try this project at home try to not remove the sticker once you’ve placed it to your surface. They leave a tacky residue behind when they are move and loose a bit of their stickiness.

 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA                 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

                    Before                                                         After
                                                         
   Revamped Goodwill
                                                                             goodies used to give this wall
                                                                                          a little love.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         I switched out the old melted down candle with a *new to me* candle purchased at Goodwill. I love the black toile print. The sconce is also an old Goodwill find. :o)

 

 

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         I’m happy with the way it turned out! This corner in my living room still needs a little work (I want to replace the red pillow on the chair, looking for new end table, and may take down the red flower print on the wall) but I think the new art helped!

Oh how I love a cheap Goodwill revamp!

I’m linking up with:
Southern Hospitality

22 comments:

  1. That is so adorable! You are so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative!!! BTW, I like the corner of your room with the chair & red pillow & picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented ~ thrifty and creative. I like it a lot. Happy Monday! La

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously love this DIY! So easy and it's so cute! I love that pillowcase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Your wall arrangement looks beautiful! Lovin' that comfy chair and I like the red throw...very warm and inviting! =) ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is adorable! I love the yellow and black.

    I shared it on my TT&J FB page and linked to you :)

    xox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how they turned out! Great job. Like the candle also.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a clever & cute idea. I am absolutely doing this in my office. BTW - I love your bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kendra, I LOVED this!!! Just beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg I love those pictures!! You make it all seem so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks so amazing! really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love this...you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. New to your blog :) I just love how great yellow, white and black look - so sharp!! Thanks for such a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks wonderful! I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute project, Kendra! Love the yellow & black together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all looks great! I never would have thought to do that with the pillow cases. They look terrific

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am new at blogging and just found your blog. What wonderful ideas you have!!!! I'll be following along on a regular basis.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a super cute idea! I love repurposing things and I have to admit that I've faced that ick factor of having a closed mind with the thrift shop linens. I just repurposed a window on my blog and its so satisfying to find new uses for old stuff. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and read them all so knock yourself out! If you have a specific question, feel free to
e-mail me by using my e-mail link in the side bar. I would love to hear from you :o)